Re:NJ bogs part 4

From: Michael A Sankovich (aquilla2@juno.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 1997 - 19:31:35 PDT

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 22:31:35 -0400
From: aquilla2@juno.com (Michael A Sankovich)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:NJ bogs part 4

Dear Paul,
        Your reference to Lebanon State Forest and S. purpurea flower
poachers. I too witnessed this phenomenon in the forest last year. It
makes no sense to take seed pods this early since the seeds are not yet
mature. My own observations at this site were lots of deer tracks and
upon closer examination I determined that the White-tailed deer had an
appetite for Sars. seed pods. All looked as if they were neatly cut with
a knife but I believe that it was the incisors of these oversized rats.
         I am surprised that you did not find U. subulata, fibrosa, and
especially cornuta with it's bright yellow flowers on 6-8in scapes.

 Michael