Re: Pesticide labelling, etc. (was: cephalotus and scale)

From: Carl Gustafson (carl.gustafson@cbis.ece.drexel.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 11 1997 - 05:27:43 PDT

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 08:27:43 -0400
From: Carl Gustafson <carl.gustafson@cbis.ece.drexel.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pesticide labelling, etc. (was: cephalotus and scale)

On Friday (8/8/97), Ron Schlosser wrote:

> I have worked for the past 23 years in the horticultural field, most of
>the time dealing with pesticides. A year ago my current employer required me
>to obtain a Pesticide Consultants license and I have learned what can and can
>not be recommended about the usage of pesticides. First, *the label is the
>law* which means, if I remember right, that if the *plant* is not listed on
>the label the product *can not be used on that plant*. Second, if the plant
>*is* listed but not the pest and you have reason to think that the pesticide
>will control the pest your after you can use it. There are product labels
>that do allow for one to treat plants that are similar to ones on the label
>but are not specified.

Would CP be included in "Ornamentals?" Since many pesticides list use on
ornamentals, and CP certainly aren't kept as food or crop plants (at least
not by me) they might conceivably be considered ornamental.

> Now about Dimethoate. This product is a *powerful* systemic. It is a
>*true* systemic in that it is moved by the plant to all parts of the plant
>regardless of where it contacts. Orthene on the other hand is a local
>systemic, it is absorbed by the plant but does not translocate. If one uses
>this product, you should use a pesticide respirator that is labeled for
>pesticides, if you don't it can make you *real* sick if you breath the fumes.
>There are 2 labels for the product, one for agricultural use (vegetables etc.)
>and the other is for ornamentals. I would suggest that if one wants to try
>this product out that you start with the lowest rate on the label which works
>out to be 1 tsp (5 ml) per gallon and spray to wet. I have had no problem
>using this product on my Sarracenias or Darlingtonia but Drosera do not like
>it. I'd never drench.

I can second it's agressive nature. I believe that a small amount of wind
drift caused blistering (chemical burns) that took several weeks to heal.
When using this stuff, I always wear neoprene gloves, and an mask fitted
with cartridges for organic vapor, not one of those brassiere-cup type jobs
sold for dusts.

Carl
 G.