Mutt Pings and possible I.D.!

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Fri Aug 08 1997 - 14:54:22 PDT

Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 17:54:22 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Mutt Pings and possible I.D.!

    Well, I spent an enjoyable night gazing at every photo in Rick
Walker's Carnivorous Plant Database (Awesome work, btw!) looking at
Pinguiculas in an effort to identify my three mutt Pings... I think I've
had success on two of the plants.

    First up with regards to the Ping that's currently in flower- the
flower has turned violet changing to white then deep yellow in the
center. This combined with the leaf shape leads me to identify the
plant as a pinguicula longifolia ssp reichenbachiana. For reference
see:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/botany/public_html/cp/pictures/pinguicu/sj/pics/940513.jpg

    As to the classic, original (heard it here first) "Mutt Ping", the
leaf shape looks identical to the pinguicula crystallina ssp
hirtiflora! Although this plant hasn't had a successful blossom yet
(although, it's sending up two more) the flower colors look the same as
the emerging petals on my plant's failed attempts. To see the plant I'm
talking about, go to:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/botany/public_html/cp/pictures/pinguicu/sj/pics/94053.jpg

    This still leaves my little hairy ping unidentified.

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul V. McCullough