RE: Hardy CP's

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Wed Aug 06 1997 - 07:18:00 PDT

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 10:18:00 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Hardy CP's

Hi Wim,

I keep all my adult Sarr (flava, leuco, rubra, psittacina, minor) in
outdoor bogs over the winter, which in the Atlanta area has several
months of periodically freezing weather. It will often get down to the
20's F and occassionally the teens. I only noticed the loss of a few
psitts. Oreophila, which grows in northeastern Alabama experiences even
colder weather so it shouldn't be a problem.

I would think that your Sarr would do all right outside. It will be
interesting to hear from other members who live farther north if Sarr
survive outdoors. It seems like I remember them saying that they will
survive outside as far north as Canada.

David

>From Wim,

>I received a question from a local Botanical garden who whish to expand
>the number of CP's in their outdoor artificial bog. They are looking
for
>hardy CP's and asked suggestions conserning the construction of
>artificial bogs (for the bogs,

> I was thinking of suggesting them these plants.

* S. flava They report that S. flava has not flowered this
year,
probably due to the severe winter we had. This astonished me, as I
consider S. flava to be very easy and hardy. Some have germinated in my
bog and those seedlings have survived last winter.
* S. purpurea purpurea
* S. purpurea venosa
* S. leucophylla cold greenhouse during winter
* S. oreophylla cold greenhouse during winter
* S. alata cold greenhouse during winter
* S. minor cold greenhouse during winter
* S. rubra cold greenhouse during winter
* S. psittacina cold greenhouse during winter