Washington DC Public CP

From: Geof Goodrum (ggoodrum@perigee.ncdc.noaa.gov)
Date: Tue Aug 05 1997 - 19:06:43 PDT

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 22:06:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Geof Goodrum <ggoodrum@perigee.ncdc.noaa.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Washington DC Public CP

If you are in the Washington DC area:

The Clearwater Nature Center in Clifton, Maryland gives tours of the
Suitland Bog by arrangement and on Open House days. You'll find
Sarracenia purpurea, Drosera intermedia and filiformis, and a variety of
other bog plants. The next Open House is scheduled for September 6, 10
AM to noon. The phone number for the Clearwater Nature Center is
301-297-4575.

The US Botanical Garden on the National Mall has a small but diverse
collection of Nepenthes on display in a terrarium, outer corridor, Mall
side. In the center courtyard is a small water garden with Sarracenia
plantings (psittacina, purpurea, minor, and others if I recall correctly).
Also in the courtyard is a 3-4 foot tall Flytrap sculpture, surely worth a
photograph! I met the gentleman who maintains the USBG CP collection at a
recent organizational meeting for a local CP chapter, and he said that the
sculptor is working on another CP project. Hopefully, USBG will add that
to their public display, as well!

I'm sure that there are other DC points of interest, but these are the
ones that I have visited recently.

Geof