Introduction

From: R.C.Jenkins (R.C.Jenkins@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Aug 05 1997 - 07:28:51 PDT

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 15:28:51 +0100
From: "R.C.Jenkins" <R.C.Jenkins@sheffield.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Introduction

Dear all,

I have been reading the list with great interest for a few months and
am probably overdue for introducing myself. I am currently doing clinical
research regarding human growth hormone in Sheffield, UK. I am
fortunate to live within easy reach of populations of P.vulgaris,
P.grandiflora and D.rotundifolia (thank-you to Loyd for some of these
locales). I have been growing CP for a short time and have a
collection which includes most of the main genera although I am most
interested in Pinguicula.

I have a question for the experts out there. I have two D.capensis
plants, one normal and the other the alba variant, and I have kept
these outside during the good weather (not a mean trick in this part
of the world). The 'standard' anthocyanin-positive plant became
saturated with greenfly, about 30-50 victims per leaf, whilst the
alba plant caught 0-5 flies per leaf despite the plants being
adjacent to each other. Although this is anecdote (I will repeat the
experiment if the sun shines again) is it a recognised
phenomenon? If so, is it due to the red pigmentation being an
attractant or is the loss of the gene for anthocynanin production
associated with the loss of some other gene which has a role in prey
attraction? Lastly, what are the genetics of these variants and what
happens if the plants are crossed?

Looking forward to the answers!

Best wishes,

Richard Jenkins