CP, etc.

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Sat Aug 02 1997 - 21:44:43 PDT

Date: Sun, 03 Aug 1997 00:44:43 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CP, etc.

To Susan Farrington:
    Glad you enjoyed the trip to our bogs here in Jersey! As to the
drosera under water- the NJ sundews seem to thrive in a very wet
environment. Even during dry spells, I'll usually see a few d.
rotundifolias under the drink... I suspect this is due to tidal
variations as these plants are VERY healthy. I've been watering my
sundews much more since this revelation (I was always under the
impression that sundews liked higher dryer country then say a Pitcher
plant... this isn't true in this state) and they're growing like wild
fire. I'm glad you found d. filiformis... it's the one sundew that's
eluded me...

    On a different note, does anyone know if d. capillaris can withstand
a NE winter? I really want to plant this giant pot that's filled with
left over soil mix from the Klima gro, and as I pointed out- I've got
tons of cap babies springing up all over the place. (Seeds and
cuttings...) I'm also thinking of moving d. adelae babies outdoors for
the summer. (Does it get cold in the parts of Australia where this
sundew originates? I know it gets cold in southern Australia...)

    Also, one of my butterworts (not the original mutt, another) has
finally flowered. The traps are long and very narrow... more rod shaped
then egg or pear or triangular in shape. (____________) <- like a
tongue depressor... slightly concave. Anyway, this plant has white
flowers. ID, anyone?
    I have another mutt ping that has the same trap shape but the leaves
are convex, rather then concave. It hasn't flowered yet. Its traps are
small, and somewhat hairy- close inspection makes the hairs look almost
like sundew tentacles, but this is not a sundew.

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul V. McCullough