VFT Royal Red patent

From: Wim Leys (wim.leys@lin.vlaanderen.be)
Date: Thu Jul 31 1997 - 09:48:51 PDT

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 09:48:51 -0700
From: Wim Leys <wim.leys@lin.vlaanderen.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: VFT Royal Red patent

The first of May I have bought a VFT "Royal Red" (TM). By giving it a
big fly in each and every trap that matures, this plant has grown from 4
cm in diameter to +- 20 cm (hard to tell the leaves are upright now).

Most likely I'll have two or three plants next spring. Those will each
form two or three plants the year after, .... So within a few years I'll
have a lot of these plants. Especially when during transplanting a few
leaves break off, that can be treated like leaf cuttings. I don't know
what the implications of the patent are that is casted over this plant.
I assume that I may not sell or trade my surplus plants. Does this imply
that over 5 years I have to throw out all my other CP's due to a lack of
space, needed to store the Royal Reds ? Or should I then have to
consider turning my surplus RR's into compost ?

I have browsed the CP digests from the previous years. They contained
lots of reactions concerning the right to take a patent on a plant
originally found in nature, but no answer to my question.

Can anyone help ?

Kind regards
Wim