Re: Something different (Darlingtonia Grafting)

From: Nigel Hurneyman (NHurneyman@softwar1.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 29 1997 - 07:34:58 PDT

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 13:34:58 +-100
From: Nigel Hurneyman <NHurneyman@softwar1.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Something different (Darlingtonia Grafting)

Hi Peter,

I have done some cactus and succulent grafting and it is pretty straightforward.
However Darlingtonias are probably going to be a lot trickier. Basically you
have to graft one permanent structure onto another such that the whole is
self-sufficient. I reckon your best bet with Darlingtonias is to graft part of
the crown, but even this is likely to be pretty short term as the crown grows
new bits and old bits die off. I suggest you chop off the roots and lower half
of the crown from your chlorophyll-free D., and remove say half of the upper
part of the crown of a young normal D., leaving half the pitchers for
photosynthesis. Graft the upper half of the chlorophyll-free D. crown onto
where you removed the half of the normal D. upper crown. I have no idea how
you hold it in place until (hopefully) the graft takes, or even which bits you
might have to line up for the graft to be successful (do D.s have a pronounced
vascular bundle?).

If you try it, good luck - you are going to need it.

NigelH