Plants and Fish

From: NPLUMMER@hg-basic1mail.hg.med.umich.edu
Date: Thu Jul 24 1997 - 08:58:36 PDT

Date:          Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:58:36 -0500
From: NPLUMMER@hg-basic1mail.hg.med.umich.edu
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Plants and Fish

> Also, I am interested in acquiring some aquatic CP for my aquarium and
>terrarium that I am building. There will be fish in the aquarium,
>aggressive fish such as piranahs, etc. What aquatic CP are there and
>where can I obtain them or seeds?

>I appreciate the debate over sunlight for CP that one of my earlier
>postings caused, but I still haven't gotten a definite answer to my
>question: Is 24 hour a day light better than say 18 hours of light and
>6 hours of darkness?

Matt,

Keep in mind that Piranha will quite happily eat/shred plants. At the pet shop
where I worked in high school, we used to supplement the red-bellied piranha's
diet with clumps of Elodea. The juveniles in particular made short work of the
plants. Quite apart from eating the plants, adult Piranhas are large, vigorous
fish that will destroy plantings simply by blundering through them. For a planted
tank with delicate CP like Utricularia, I think you will have more success with
small tetras or live-bearers.

Regarding light: If you are asking about your planned terrarium/aquarium, then
you will definitely want a dark cycle. The plants may or may not care, but any
fish or reptiles will definitely want a period of darkness. In an aquarium 24
hour (or even 18 hour) light is an excellent way of growing huge quantities of
algae.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Nicholas Plummer