Re: Dionea traps

From: Michael Zenner (mvz@agora.rdrop.com)
Date: Mon Jul 21 1997 - 18:32:30 PDT

Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 18:32:30 -0700
From: Michael Zenner <mvz@agora.rdrop.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Dionea traps

At 05:47 PM 7/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
>The traps of my dionea plants fail to regenerate when they turn black
>and I take them off. I think I might be clipping them off too far
>away from the leaf, because when I clip them off there is the leaf,
>but I also leave on the little piece that connects the trap to the
>leaf. Should I cut that little piece off? None of the traps grow back
>after digesting an insect, turning black, and then being pinched off
>the plant to let a new one grow.

Umm, if I understand you right, this is normal. Are you expecting a new
leaf to grow from the stump of an existing stalk? That won't happen. New
leaves have new stalks, which come from the center of the plant. That's
the only way they do it. Also, your leaves shouldn't be turning black and
dying consistently after trapping a single insect. The trap should reopen
in a couple of weeks, leaving some chitinous material inside. Leaves
should generally be good for around 2-4 insects each.

Michael Zenner mvz@agora.rdrop.com
"Here a fool found salvation" http://www.rdrop.com/users/mvz/