Phosphate in water supply

From: Russell Elliott (relliott@geocities.com)
Date: Wed Jul 16 1997 - 23:20:10 PDT

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 23:20:10 -0700
From: Russell Elliott <relliott@geocities.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Phosphate in water supply

Hi Everyone,

 Recently I have noticed that slimey blue/green algae has
become a lot worse on the surface of the soil in my CP pots.
Some of the plants haven't been looking their best since last
growing season, and I have lost a few.

 Now, I *think* I have found the source of the problem. I use
rainwater that collects off the roof of our garage and runs into
the rain-water tank. For about 8 months now we have had chickens
in our backyard. This has attracted turtle doves and pidgeons.
During the day they sit on the roof of the shed, and do what
pidgeons do best. Crap all over the place! Could this be the
source of the problem? We cleaned out the shed gutters too
a few days back, and found a large buildup of Eucalypt leaves+
bird excreta.

 The tank has a capacity of 1000 gallons, so I guess the nutrient
is getting fairly diluted. Could this still be causing the problem?
I read that bluegreen + other algae don't require many nutrients
in a medium to become a problem.

 Could pidgeons be causing my CP woes?

Thanks,

        -Russell

--
! Russell Elliott, Seed Bank Director,                          !