Re[2]: San Francisco Bog

From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Tue Jul 01 1997 - 08:09:36 PDT

Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 11:09:36 -0400
From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re[2]: San Francisco Bog

>3. What dampness level do I keep the Bog? Should the sphagumn be spongy
>to the touch with visble water when pressed??
 Not necessary. If you have standing water, you may want to consider allowing
the water table to drop once in a while. Standing water produces sour soil in a
lot of cases especially in my area. I water my plants every day and some plants
are just sit in pots on the ground next to my greenhouse or my deck. I also have
plants sitting in water, but by far, the plants that are NOT sitting in water,
tend to look healthier. The plants that are sitting in water seem to require
more labor. If you have the ability to water each day, do so, otherwise keep
soil damp to the touch and allow the top of the soil to dry sometimes.
 In my opinion, All bogs that are made should have a bottom drain plug to allow
you to change the water weekly.
                 Charles