Re: Drosera, Cephalotus [was Hey , dont help me that much!!!]

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 27 1997 - 14:15:52 PDT

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 22:15:52 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera, Cephalotus [was Hey , dont help me that much!!!]

On 25 Jun 97 at 15:40, Sebastian Vieira wrote:

> Hi again CPers, I am writing again as I got no reply to my last Message.
> Please I am asking for Help with growing the following plants:
>
> D.peltata
> D.whittakeri
> Cephalotus

OK - so I'm going to try a reply. I suspect you didn't get one
because we have no idea if you are a complete beginner (in which case
there is too much to say, and looking at books or references on the
web starting at the CP list home page might be good), or if you are
an expert who just happens not to have grown these species (in which
case we probably can't add to your knowledge). You can't *make* us
reply (and the subject of the present thread is going to look fairly
useless in the archives!).

If you are in the N. hemisphere, then I'd have said that the two
Drosera should be dormant tubers. My D. peltata haven't quite died
down yet, but very soon will. They both grow in Winter and retreat to
their tubers in Summer. The only danger if you receive dormant tubers
is that they might shrivel up before it's time for them to start
growing (maybe October or so). They are fine buried in dryish soil,
but shouldn't be left exposed to the air. Inside a zip-lock bag
might be OK. If you have got them where you can see them, then you
would see the rather fragile stem start to grow and should then plant
immediately and start to water.

Cephalotus has never given me the slightest problems (except that I
have trouble propagating it). I just grow in usual peat/sand CP soil,
and keep stood in rainwater (as with most of my other plants).

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Cacti in flower, Frogspawn, etc.