RE: Planting Medium Component

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Wed Jun 25 1997 - 06:14:30 PDT

Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 09:14:30 -0400
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Planting Medium Component

> I plan to repot several of my plants that have
> outgrown their original pots.
> The sphagnum moss, sphagnum peat and perlite were
> no problem to find, but I am stuck on the type of
> sand to use. The main thing I can find for sale
> around here (Dallas, TX) is labeled "desert" sand.
> It states that it is washed, but is this safe to use
> on CP? Has anyone ever tried a product called "lava
> sand"...appears to be crushed lava rock. THANKS.

Based on a tip I got from the CP list some time ago, I buy "blasting
sand" (used for sandblasting what I don't know) from the hardware store.
It's the finest sand I've found for sale, "fine" in this context
referring to the size of the grain. And as Paul McCullough suggested, be
kind to your lungs and wear a mask when you're working with this stuff.

Good growing,
Phil
URL du jour: http://www.netlink.co.nz/~monpa/