Re: The ultimate terrarium

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Tue Jun 24 1997 - 18:12:49 PDT

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 21:12:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: The ultimate terrarium

Matt wrote:

> I was wondering if anybody was interested in working on designing a
> terrarium from a scientific viewpoint...
> ...The limitating factors on plant growth in general are basically
> sunlight, water, nutrients, and CO2. By maximizing these factors
> while keeping them balanced enough to not harm the plant, accelerated
> growth can be achieved.

Ummm, the basic idea seems nice but I think many things have
been overlooked. A sealed biosphere (even if it's just for
plants--doesn't include animals) is a complicated affair of
physics, chemistry, biology, etc.

For example, you didn't include the effects of co-habitating
microbes which will surely be present. If they thrive then
they might take up a lot of the resources and generate
byproducts which may be detrimental to other plants.

> Sunlight-artificial lighting and reflective surfaces
> Water-simple enough
> Nutrients-nutritional insects and Superthrive

Again Superthrive! (readers may recall other recent
postings). Superthrive is not a substitute for "nutrition",
and insects alone are not a balanced diet, not even for
cps.

> CO2-an atmosphere entirely composed of CO2
> The CO2 is the tricky part. The terrarium has to be sealed, and CO2
> has to be pumped into it. Buying CO2 or a CO2 "maker" machine is
> expensive. Fire (a source of CO2) often produces smoke and also
> toxious fumes, vapors, and gases. Carbonated water is difficult to
> extract large volumes of CO2 from.

Try baking soda and vinegar. The reaction is listed in most
basic chemistry books.

> If anybody is interested in working on a design, just respond to this
> posting. Thanks

You have a lot of enthusiasm, and that's good. Before you spend
a lot of your resources (time and money) I suggest you conduct
some library research. Read up on some of the points you
listed. I think you'll find some surprises, and it would
be an excellent learning experience.

Regards,

Perry Malouf