Re: Nepenthes?

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Tue Jun 24 1997 - 11:36:03 PDT

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 14:36:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes?

Stuart Haxton wrote:

> I just ordered... N.Khasiana and a lowland hybrid...
> Does anyone know what the best growing medium for these plants is, and
> whether a cutting from one of these plants would be happy in a
> conservatory?

I grow my N. khasiana in a 50:50 mix (by volume) of sphagnum
moss and perlite. The plant is growing well, and has withstood
very hot weather. It is happier in more moderate temperatures,
however, when it puts on the most growth and pitchers. It
does like high humidity like most Nepenthes.

> Also, does anyone know of a U.K. supplier of the legendary growth
> hormone Superthrive? (from Florida)
> It has been recommended by several people and experts say it is a must
> for Nepenthes growers, producing enormous growth spurts and abundant
> pitchers on even the most unhappy of plants!( as many Internet accounts
> have revealed)

I don't know which Internet accounts you've been reading, but the
consensus I've arrived at is that Superthrive is mildly effective
if at all. No one to my knowledge has done controlled experiments
with the stuff on Nepenthes. Though a lot of people use it, most
of the reports I've read are anecdotal. I use Superthrive, and
I can't report any amazing results. All I can say is that my
plants seem to be happy--I can't attribute their good health only
to Superthrive.

Regards,

Perry Malouf