Re: Planting Medium Component

From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Tue Jun 24 1997 - 06:43:12 PDT

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 09:43:12 -0400
From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Planting Medium Component

     You might try going to a swimming pool company and looking at there
     sand. Pool sand is usually a silica based sand, washed and ready to
     use. It goes for about 6 dollars for about 50 pounds. Silica sand is
     what is normally used (here) in pool filters. Hope this helps.
                      Charles
                    Va Beach, Va.

Author: CMcdon0923@aol.com at smtp

I plan to repot several of my plants that have outgrown their original pots.
 The sphagnum moss, sphagnum peat and perlite were no problem to find, but I
am stuck on the type of sand to use. The main thing I can find for sale
around here (Dallas, TX) is labeled "desert" sand. It states that it is
washed, but is this safe to use on CP? Has anyone ever tried a product
called "lava sand"...appears to be crushed lava rock. THANKS.