Re: Cuba Oriental - Once more

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon Jun 23 1997 - 08:11:45 PDT

Date:          Mon, 23 Jun 1997 08:11:45
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Cuba Oriental - Once more

Dear Paul,

> It was a prehistoric plant. A group that was one of
> the first to move out of water and colonise land. Odd thing indeed. No
> leaves, many weird twiggy soft upright stems, strange brownish colour and
> spores instead of seeds. This was Psilotum nudum and I guess there are a few
> readers who'd like such a weir thing as much as I do.

I like it. Rather recently this relict was found near Algeciras
in Spain (Cadiz Prov.), i.e. within the general range of the most
remarkable (likewise relict) plant in Europe, viz. _Drosophyllum
lusitanicum_. BTW, Many authors think that _Isoetes_ (incl.
_Stylites_) is even older than _Psilotum_, and that the former is
closest to the first plants to conquer the solid surface of our
planet.

Kind regards
Jan