Re: Self sterile plants

From: Coutadeur Fabrice (coutadeur.f@gardener.com)
Date: Sat Jun 21 1997 - 12:45:23 PDT

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 21:45:23 +0200
From: Coutadeur Fabrice <coutadeur.f@gardener.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Self sterile plants

At 18:29 20/06/97 -0700, you wrote:
> Do you mean using other pollen to simulate the stimga to produce
>enzymes responsible for "germinating" the pollen so as to force a selfing?

Yes, but you have to desactivate the 'foreign' pollen before... I think
I've read here using ultraviolet light to 'kill' the other polln...

>> > However, some plants are even more picky than this and will not
>> >use pollen of close relatives (say, from the same parent). This
>To insure genetic variablity, I would assume. How might a plant
>evolve this capablity?

Well, with 2 genes, I think it could be possible if the presence of at
least one of the 2 genes prevent the pollen's 'germination'...

>No, I don't know too much about plants I haven't grown. All N.American
>CP's (I don't know Utrics) and most S.American Drosera (Fernando?)
>are self-fertile. As are annuals. I don't about corm forming species,

The annuals plants are always self-sterile ?

>but D.peltata is self-pollinating, probably the species closely related
>to it also. Can't count Nepenthes as each clone is either male or female.

Of course !

Regards,

        Fabrice

Coutadeur Fabrice