Flowering VFT

From: Lauren Weinstein (lauren@vortex.com)
Date: Wed Jun 18 1997 - 09:42:40 PDT

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 97 09:42:40 PDT
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren@vortex.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Flowering VFT

Greetings. Well, for the first time since I was kid, I decided
to take another stab at a VFT. It's sitting in the kithen window.
It doesn't get direct sun, but gets lots of sunlight here in L.A.,
and seems to be doing well. Recently there have been a bunch of
nice-sized new traps, and they've been catching occasional goodies
as well. One is a bit mishapen, most are green, one is reddish.

It appears that the plant is about to flower--the stem is rising
rapidly straight up (about 1/8 inch a day, it seems). The question
is, should I try to self-pollinate, or just leave it alone? Which
is healthiest for the plant itself?

Thanks.

--Lauren--