Need alcohol plus leaf specimens of Drosera

From: ss66428 (ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Fri Jun 13 1997 - 01:44:58 PDT

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 17:44:58 +0900 (JST)
From: ss66428 <ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Need alcohol plus leaf specimens of Drosera

To all,

        Sorry I will have to reply here, but I've been swamped by offers and
next week I won't be around to answer each one individually at the moment.

        If you're willing to send me flowering specimens in alcohol, I would
like plants with location data. D.linearis, D.anglica, D.rotundifolia,
D.intermedia, D.capillaris, and D.brefivolia are welcome, as well as any
Venezuelan species. I do not want any forms which are different only in color,
only those which are different morphologically
        All I need are one to three mature plants of each with at
least one open flower per scape (additional open flowers would be nice
if thrown in with the above). I would ask these to be sent in small jars or
vials filled with alcohol (filling as much as
possible, since bubbles tend to destroy the plants in transport - with the
vials turning upsidown constantly). It's also better to put some water in with
the alcohol (70% alcohol is sometimes considered the best) or else the delicate
parts may become brittle.

        As for leaf samples, I would need about the equivalent of 2 D.capensis
leaves, although more is also welcome. You can dry whole rosettes, if you have
enough to spare (I suggested leaves for those who don't want to sacrifice
whole plants). If using a whole plant, just remember to remove the roots and
any dirt. It would also be better if the leaves were wiped on a piece of cloth
to at least remove the larger bits of prey stuck to the leaves.
        The leaves (or leaf rosettes) could be dried inside old newspaper
(the faster they dry the better, so a dry, warm spot is recommended).
I'd recommend that you prepare a seed packet-type envelope by folding paper a
few times and sealing it with tape. In these, you may put the leaf samples and
write the name of the plant on the outside, with location data if any.
        Along with each leaf sample, I would also like a whole plant in flower,
 which can be dried in the same way as the leaves (putting some kind of weight
on the newspaper so that the plant will dry nice and flat). This would be a
voucher specimen, so later on some taxonomists can check to see that I used the
correct plant in my DNA work.

        Anyways, below is a list of plants I'm interested in. Anyone willing
to send any of these, please contact me personally. I'll make a list of those
who answer me with the plants they can offer and will then get in contact with
each one individually to organize a trade, asking which seeds of Brazilian CPs
they are most ineterested in.

New Zealand:
        D.arcturi
        D.stenopetala
        D.spatulata forms
        D.binata
        D.auriculata forms
        D.peltata forms

Eastern Australia:
        D.adelae (red and salmon-pink flower forms)
        D.prolifera
        D.schizandra
        D.spatulata forms
        D.pygmaea
        D.peltata forms
        D.auriculata forms
        D.binata T form
        D.binata 'dichotoma'
        D.binata 'multifida'

Northern Hemisphere:
        D.intermedia
        D.capillaris
        D.brevifolia
        D.rotundifolia
        D.linearis
        D.anglica
        D.filiformis var.tracyi

Norther South America (I doubt many of these are in cultivation, but...):
        D.esmeraldae
        D.roraimae
        D.capillaris
        D.intermedia
        D.felix
        D.hirticalyx
        D.yutajensis
        D.meristocaulis
        D.cendeensis
        D.communis
        D.kaieteurensis
        D.cayennensis
        D.colombiana
        D.tenella
        and any others I forgot to list

Africa (non-Cape Town area species):
        D.coccicaulis
        D.nidiformis
        D.collinsiae
        D.natalensis
        D.burkeana
        D.dielsiana
        D.indica
        D.madagascariensis
        D.humbertii
        D.pusilla
        and others which I doubt anyone has, like D.insolita....

Best Wishes and THANKS!!

Fernando Rivadavia
Tokyo, Japan