Re: Drosera regia pollination

From: Eric Green (saharris@iafrica.com)
Date: Thu Jun 12 1997 - 14:50:17 PDT

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 97 21:50:17 GMT
From: saharris@iafrica.com (Eric Green)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera regia pollination

Hi!,
    Nigel wrote:
> I have a single Drosera regia plant, Can I get seed from a single plant.
Unfortunately, like D.hamiltonii this species does not self pollinate from the
same clone. Hopefully proved wrong!!!!!.
    Originally I was given about 4 regia plants, for 5 years I tried selfing
without success, seeds were bought and grown to maturity, these plants and the
originals produced viable seed.
QUESTION: I have a single Brocchinia reducta clone flowering at the moment, can
I get seed from this plant??. Previously, about 5 years ago when one of my two
clones flowered I selfed daily, some of the pods enlarged, and dehisced, but
the 1cm stick like 'seeds' never did germinate for me. Alternatively!!!!, how
do I get the two to flower at the same time????.

Paul wrote:
> I am still puzzled over the status of D. sp. Magaliesberg.
And Dave answered:
> I guess *we*, the growers of this plant,
    I have grown this plant from cuttings and seed, and they seem to be
constant, a friend (Hi Frank) recently gave me two young D.nidiformis'es, and
they are the closest I have seen so far. Unfortunately the nidiformis have not
flowered for me as yet,... not that!!, even this event will positively identify
it, chromosome counts will have to be made etc, hopefully Fernando, when and if
he comes to SA can lay this problem to rest. If it is a hybrid, I would say it
looks like a combination of D.madagascarensis and D.capensis, the two species
are about 1000 miles apart, a migrating bee!!!!!!! or human intervention some
many years ago.

                        ALL THE BEST Eric G

 @ Eric Green Phone: 027-021-7054441 @
 @ 11 Wepener Str. Variety of CP @