outdoor n. alata cultivation

From: Shalaka Kulkarni (702159@ican.net)
Date: Thu Jun 12 1997 - 12:09:39 PDT

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:09:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Shalaka Kulkarni <702159@ican.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: outdoor n. alata cultivation

Dear List,

I am considering cultivating N. alata out of doors. However, I am
encoutering certain problems. Yesterday, the sun was extremely hot and the
humidity was around 40%. I am sure that any nepenthes left out in those
conditions would surely fry in the heat. Has anyone ever tried cultivating
N. alata with partial shading underneath a plastic cover? The setup I am
considering will be as follows: I am soon undertaking the construction of an
outdoor bog (as soon as I get those flowering sized Sarrs off of Carl
Mazur). Anyways, I will place four wooden poles (5ft high) and mount a
plastic cover on top of the poles. To shade my S. purpureas and hopefully
nepenthes alata, I will plant them next to some S. flava...that way the S.
flava shadow shields them from the midday sun. The temperatures here rarely
exceed 25 degrees Celcius (about 78 F) but the sun is often quite intense.
Does anyone see any need for extra protection? Also, I am going to be away
for all of July and a bit of august so I might not be able to be there to
help the plants in case of extreme weather. Does anyone know of any way I
can shield my plants while I am away?

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. This might also be
something to consider for others who are planning on constructing a bog.

adwait kulkarni