Re: watering nephs and other cp

From: Shalaka Kulkarni (702159@ican.net)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 10:04:51 PDT

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 13:04:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Shalaka Kulkarni <702159@ican.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: watering nephs and other cp

Dear Dave, and everyone else,

I have read somewhere that nephs grow in a variety of conditions ranging
from swamps, rain forest floor, to limestone cliffs where there is enough
water for germination to occur.

Since limestone is essentially Calcium Carbonate (which is basic is pH)
would this explain why nephs can tolerate hard water better than most other
CP? Also, I have also read that S. purpurea ssp. purpurea often grow in marl
bogs (extremely basic...I believe that marl bogs are set upon layers of
limestone also...but don't quote me on that) in my region of southern
ontario in Canada. Does this mean that S. purpurea ssp. purpurea will also
be tolerant to salts and basic pH in cultivation?.

thanks for your responses,

adwait kulkarni