Re: Reverse Osmosis unit

From: Michael Zenner (mvz@agora.rdrop.com)
Date: Sun Jun 08 1997 - 18:42:40 PDT

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 18:42:40 -0700
From: Michael Zenner <mvz@agora.rdrop.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Reverse Osmosis unit

At 08:00 PM 6/7/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>I found the unit paid for itself within the first few months. I was =
>easily
>>using five gallons of distilled water per day, which got awfully =
>expensive.
>
>The units I've looked at have sediment and carbon pre-filters, the RO =
>filter,
>and then a carbon "finish" filter. All of these filters have to be =
>changed on a
>regular basis, and for most people, the water costs money.=20
>
>Have you estimated these costs compared to the cost of buying bulk =
>distilled
>water?

Yup. In my location, distilled water in bulk is around 50 cents per gallon.
The RO unit with the first set of filters ran $135.00 or so. Replacement TC
membranes are about $50.00, and I've been getting 9 months to a year out of
them. The carbon pre-filters are under $20.00.

So, the first year, I spent $135.00, which covered my five gallons per day
for nearly a year.

5 gals per day x $.50 per gallon = $2.50 per day.
365 x $2.50 =$912.50

Even figuring in the rainy season, I'm still way ahead.

Next year, I'll spend around $75.00 or so (including shipping, etc) for a
new set of filters, and I'll still get 5 gals per day or so...

>James Aldridge - Fort Worth, Texas, USA
>jaldr@onramp.net or aldrjame@tenet.edu
>http://rampages.onramp.net/~jaldr

Michael Zenner CP-AMSEL-IA, CFI-A