Re: Re: Cephalotus

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Jun 06 1997 - 18:50:00 PDT

Date:    Fri, 06 Jun 97 21:50 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Cephalotus

> I've not yet succeeded with a Cephalotus leaf cutting yet either.
> I took 5 non-pitcher leaves a few weeks ago and placed them with the
> stalk end just under the surface. As has always happened before, a
> black rot soon started to spread from the cut end, except in one of
> them for which I still have hope. Does anyone get a good percentage
> out of Ceph leaf cuttings?

Hi Clarke,

   I get good rates for all cuttings, but Ceph plants just drop dead
for no particular reason I can fathom... Oh! I just re-read your
letter and you should not cut the leaves off. They have to be pulled
off of the stem so that some of the undiffereniated cells from the
stem come off with the leaf. This can be difficult to abtain as Ceph
grows into a tangled mess of petioles, leaves and pitchers. This is
called a stem-leaf cutting. Leaf cutting don't work for Ceph.
   If they still rot, or I read you wrong, try using Sphagnum moss
to root the stem-leaf cuttings similar to how you would root very
small Nepenthes or Drosera leaves in moss basically at or just below
the surface level of the moss, too deep and you get rot. Also,
position the leaves/pitchers so that area with the stem tissue is
lower than the rest of the leaf or most of the pitcher (you want the
auxin to flow to the stem cells to cause roots). If a cutting of
most anything is still viable in a week, it's almost sure to root.

Dave Evans