Re: Cephalotus

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 06 1997 - 14:50:44 PDT

Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 22:50:44 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cephalotus

On 2 Jun 97 at 12:51, James Tovee wrote:

> I have a small cephalotus that has a flower stalk developing. I
> assume that it will have to be pollinated as with VFT. I would like
> advice on what to do with the seeds.

Mine flowered for the first time last year and eventually produced
things which looked the same as the seeds I had bought before - small
seed, inside some sort of papery thing a few mm long, making the
whole thing likely to blow away, just a few seeds per flower.

I sowed them as soon as they were ready - nearly Autumn by then,
but they haven't grown. But then I only ever got one seedling from
a number of packets of seed with maybe 5-10 in each. My second
plant is going to flower this year, so at least some
cross-pollination should be possible - I think my two plants will be
different clones as they looked like seedlings when I was given them.
So no - I don't know what is needed to get them to grow - perhaps
good seed in the first place is the answer.

I've not yet succeeded with a Cephalotus leaf cutting yet either.
I took 5 non-pitcher leaves a few weeks ago and placed them with the
stalk end just under the surface. As has always happened before, a
black rot soon started to spread from the cut end, except in one of
them for which I still have hope. Does anyone get a good percentage
out of Ceph leaf cuttings?

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Cacti in flower, Frogspawn, etc.