Sarracenia seed maturation

From: Gordon Wells (wells@iri.upc.es)
Date: Fri Jun 06 1997 - 06:53:06 PDT

Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 15:53:06 +0200
From: Gordon Wells <wells@iri.upc.es>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia seed maturation

Hi Joe and Dave,

> Non scientifically speaking, this could be some form of "vegetative
> apomixis caused by uneven weather during early bud formation

> My guess is the flower didn't stop producing auxin for some reason
> so the plant hasn't let it die. Weak seasonal differences can confuse
> Sarracenia plants...

Uneven weather, weak seasonal differences... That sounds like a pretty
good description of the climate in my living room most of the year.
I guess the fact that I didn't get any snowfall or sub-zero winds near
my sofa during the winter allowed the flowers to stay green for so long.
And since the pods are moist inside, the seeds just went ahead and
sprouted. At any rate, it sure is a good way to get plants pregnant.
Hmmm... is it possible that mammals evolved from plants that experienced
unusually mild winters ? :^)

Best regards,

Gordon Wells
Instituto de Robotica e Informatica Industrial
Edificio Nexus, planta 2
Gran Capitan 2-4 Tel: (343) 401-5805
Barcelona E-08034 Fax: (343) 401-5750
SPAIN e-mail: gwells@iri.upc.es