Re: Re: Sarracenia seed maturation

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 19:01:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 05 Jun 97 22:01 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Sarracenia seed maturation

> From: Joe Cumbee <acumbee@SURFSOUTH.COM>
>
> Non scientifically speaking, this could be some form of "vegetative
> apomixis caused by uneven weather during early bud formation which
> causes the flower parts to be replaced by miniature plantlets" From
> CARNIVOROUS PLANTS OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA page 21 by Mr.
> Donald Schnell.

 Hi Joe and Gordon,

   I believe Dr. Schnell was writing more about Dionea and Drosera
having the flower parts becoming plantlets...

> > Out of curiosity, I opened one of the seed pods up
> > the other day to see if any seeds were present,
> > and curiously enough, three of them had germinated
> > into little seedlings right inside the sealed
> > seed pod! Has anyone heard of this happening before ?

Not for Sarracenia. I have seen this happen on a couple other plants,
but I don't recall what. Usually, when the flower has finished growing
the seeds, they inturn stop producing auxin and the plant then stops
feeding the flower stem and it dies. My guess is the flower didn't
stop producing auxin for some reason so the plant hasn't let it die.
Weak seasonal differences can confuse Sarracenia plants... Where
Sarracenia live, an errant flowers like these would not make it through
winter anyway (well maybe those very southern S.minor can).
   Oh!!! You did say it was S.minor, right? Hmm...

Dave Evans