Re(2): Pygmy Drosera from seeds

From: Coutadeur Fabrice (coutadeur.f@gardener.com)
Date: Wed Jun 04 1997 - 09:16:35 PDT

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 18:16:35 +0200
From: Coutadeur Fabrice <coutadeur.f@gardener.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re(2): Pygmy Drosera from seeds

Hi Nigel !

At 03:38 03/06/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Pygmy Drosera from seed is a bit of a nightmare - I have never had decent
>germination rates, even from my own, fresh seed. Gibberellic Acid seems

What rate do you obtain ? ( With and without Gibberellic acid )

>to help but I haven't found any improvement using smoke chemicals. My
>current testing involves subjecting the seeds to protracted baking and that
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
?! In what does it consist ? ( I'm sorry, but I don't have an english
dictionnary in Spain... ).

>seed in my experience are the smaller species, eg occidentalis and pygmaea.

Could you please give rates for the species you have tried ?

>Growing them from gemmae is a lot faster and easier.

I believe you, but it's a lot easier finding seeds than gemmae... ( I've
got the address of an english which sells CP seeds, and there is some
pygmys ).

>Pygmies mature rapidly from seed - plants grown from seed germinated in
>autumn have flowered and set seed the following spring/summer, although
>maximum rosette size does seem to take a couple of growing seasons.

And do they produce gemmae the first year ?

>My biggest problem with pygmies is inadequate light levels - that should be
>no problem to you in Madrid. However they also appreciate high humidity

I hope so ! That's a bit because of the weather in Madrid that I'm looking
for this plants : I suppose it will be easier to grow a pygmy or a tuberous
Drosera than a highland Nepenthes...

>when in growth and that could be difficult for you without a terrarium, even
>standing the pots permanently in rainwater.

Alright : I think I'll do a terrarium with what I'll find here !

Thanks !

Regards,

        Fabrice

Coutadeur Fabrice