n. alata roots

From: Shalaka Kulkarni (702159@ican.net)
Date: Wed Jun 04 1997 - 10:58:20 PDT

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 13:58:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: Shalaka Kulkarni <702159@ican.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: n. alata roots

Dear List,

I got my first nepenthes ever today. It was an n. alata. Since, I have yet
to see the roots of a nepenthes individual I am unclear on certain things.
First of all, I looked at the cutting and at the bottom, the plant have 4-5
1mm long black protrusions (they look a little like VFT roots except
smaller). Are these roots or are they something else? I was afraid to touch
them incase they broke so I am unsure if they are little roots. Please let
me know wether I should treat the plant as an unrooted cutting, in which
case I pour on some rooting hormone, or wether I should treat the plant as a
normal rooted plants, in which case I will acclimatize the plant in a little
plastic baggie and place in a humid terrarium with my Heliamphoras.

Adwait kulkarni