Re: D. falconeri - CP of prey?

From: -Tom- (tkhayes@mail.microserve.net)
Date: Tue Jun 03 1997 - 13:00:22 PDT

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 16:00:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: -Tom- <tkhayes@mail.microserve.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. falconeri - CP of prey?

Leigh,

> Can anyone give me any information on D Falconeri - growing and
> environment details (potting medium, temperature range etc), country
> of origin - what it looks like?!!

Since one of my favorite groups of plants is the petiolaris complex, I will
attempt to answer these questions.

First of all, I grow the whole complex in 50/50 peat sand, in a terrarium.
I keep them much wetter in summer and just moist in winter. The mix is
topped with gravel (to control the moss) and they like it really hot (in the
summer). By really hot, I am talking about 80-100 F. I use a mix of
incandescent spot lights and fluorescent quad tubes. Nothing is absolute
when talking about any group of plants and I am sure there are folks who
grow them successfully without extremely hot conditions, but it works for me.

They all originate from Australia.

The best way to describe the leaves without just seeing a photo is to
imagine a plant with leaves somewhat similar to D. prolifera but the leaves
lay on the ground and have a wide petiole. The plant generally has deep red
coloring and I will probably just take a photo for you and scan it in for my
web page!

Take care & keep on growing,

-Tom- Hayes

DANGEROUS PLANTS