Re: Bogs

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Jun 02 1997 - 15:39:00 PDT

Date:    Mon, 02 Jun 97 18:39 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Bogs

Hi Maxx,

> My dad said that I could make a bog in my yard. How will I do
> this? Does it need full sunlight all day, or shaded all day, or
> direct sunlight half day and shade the other half?

Most Sarracenia like full sun all day long. It's alright to shade
them in the afternoon. Infact this can be important if it gets real
hot. The shade will help conserve water.

> How will i make it, do i dig a hole (how deep?)

2-2.5 feet. (deeper if you give full sun for long time)

> and line it with plastic with small holes in it

No, this will dry out, unless the soil all around the bog is wet also.
The peatmoss will dry some between rains. Just make sure the soil
level is up to top of the plastic and that's really all drainage you
need on this type of set up.

> and then fill it up with half sphagnum peat moss and half sand,
> then always keep it moist 'with rain, not tap.'(edit)

By digging down deeper, the water is stored in the soil and pulled
up as it and the plants dry. You should only need one good rain
every two or three weeks to keep it at the right moisture level.
If it doesn't rain you can use tap water. It will not harm the
plants unless you use it for months on end.

> I will be growing the following cp's in the bog:
> Drosera
> Dionaea
> Sarracenia
> What else could i grow in it?

I think, in Tennesse, you should be able to grow lots of plants.
Probably be able to grow most South Eastern U.S. Pinguicula (Butter-
wort) or maybe some Mexican Pings. If it too cold for them in winter,
then you could grow hardy Pinguicula, but they like their soil much
better drained than most Sarracenia. I grow my in the bog on soil
that's been raised up (about five inches) and held in place by patio
blocks. The pitcher plants grow all around and they give the Pings
enough shade.

> And, how would i protect it from winter.
> I live in Tennessee

You won't need to protect it! That's one of the best parts of having
a bog. :) The water (and surrounding soil) and Sphagnum moss protect
the plants just fine.

Dave Evans