Setups

From: James Tovee (106361.2125@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Jun 01 1997 - 11:40:29 PDT

Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 14:40:29 -0400
From: James Tovee <106361.2125@compuserve.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Setups

        I have used this system for three years. =

I have made a bench for the greenhouse that fills the greenhouse in a U
shape to allow access down the center. The bench is lined with butyl rubb=
er
to make a large tray for the plants. There is a water tank under the benc=
with a submersed water pump. The water is pumped up to the bench for no
more than 4 minutes. The water drains back to the tank. That is basicly t=
he
system to enable me to leave the plants unattended while on holiday, whic=
has to be in the hot time of the year.
        The timer has to be electronic to enable a few minutes for the
pump. The mechanical switching timer can not be set for less than 15
minutes. This has been too much for the benches to hold, as the water onl=
drains away. The water tank I had was not large enough, so I have added t=
wo
plastic 6 gallon bottles. The bottles have a plastic tube that can siphon=

water to or from them to the water tank. This increases the water storage=

and when the water gets low the siphon will break leaving the water in th=
main water tank.
The bench is wooden and the drain pipe is plastic. The butyl rubber is th=
rubber seal for the drain pipe, to prevent the water coming in contact wi=
th
the wood.
         The bench of that size may not be fitted completely flat, or it=

may sag with use. The bench is covered with capillary matting to ensure a=
ll
the plants will get the water.

                Jim Tovee