Re: Sarracenia division

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat May 31 1997 - 10:50:41 PDT

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 18:50:41 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia division

On 29 May 97 at 20:41, The Dickersons wrote:

> I have a question concerning Sarracenia. This year several of my
> pitcher plants have produced multiple growing crowns for the first time.
> I am confused as to whether to divide the plants or leave them be. I've
> read you should never let Sarracenia develope multiple crowns, but what's
> the harm, they seem to produce more pitchers that way. Another question
> along the same subject. Is it all right to allow Sarracenia rizomes to
> grow as long (length) as they want, or is it wise to keep them at a
> certain length.

I've never heard of either of these ideas on manipulating the growth
of Sarracenia - I wonder just where some of these ideas come from - a
bit like the old nonsense about not letting your Venus Fly Traps
flower. Just let the Sarracenia do whatever it wants to, unless its
growth doesn't fit whatever container you are trying to use, in which
case divide as appropriate.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Cacti in flower, Frogspawn, etc.