Re: N.rajah cultivation

From: Johannes Marabini (Johannes.Marabini@t-online.de)
Date: Sat May 31 1997 - 08:05:53 PDT

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 17:05:53 +0200
From: Johannes.Marabini@t-online.de (Johannes Marabini)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N.rajah cultivation

Normaly N.rajah is not difficult to cultivate, if you care for a few
important things:
the soil must be well drained! And the soil should not be too acid.
Nepenthes rajah is growing in Kinabalu Park on ultrabasic soils, that
means the soil is not basic but rich on magnesia. This kind of soil is a
result of weather-worned deep-rock, called Serpentin.

I use a mix of burned clay (f.e. used for hydroculture), peat,
granit-sand, pine-bark and charcoal and my rajah is now 70 cm! in
diameter. And what to do for magnesia? Use the right fertilizer. I got
Miracid (you cannot buy in Germany) from a friend in the states and it
is working very well! And I haven't changed the soil for more than 4
years.

--
Johannes Marabini
Sperlingstrasse 10