Klimagro

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Thu May 22 1997 - 16:38:01 PDT

Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 19:38:01 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Klimagro

> Date: Wed, 21 May 97 19:51 EDT
> From: dave evans
> To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
> Subject: Re: Klima-Gro is HERE!
>
> > From: "Paul V. McCullough"
> >
> > One interesting note... the soil temp can be set to 65 degrees
> > which may make Darlingtonia plantings possible.
>
> I want one! Hows does it cool the soil?
> :)

Whoops... I wonder if I might be wrong on that... perhaps it actually
doesn't cool the soil. I was looking at the slider on the front panel
and it's graded from 60(F) degrees to 85(F). This probably means it can
be set to keep the soil at 60 degrees and above (ie, not allow it to
fall below this temp.). Sorry...

On the other hand, I wonder why it would be impossible to work out some
sort of soil cooling system. I wonder if refrigeration units could
produce balmy 60 degree temps? Hmmm...

As for the adelae- my plant was about 2.5 inches in diameter when I
bought in in March at Home Depot. It's now a full 5-6 inches in
diameter and still expanding! The light it recieved was direct from
sunrise to just about noon (5-6 hours?)- now it's getting the combined
Klima-gro lighting system (which doesn't seem very bright to me) and the
NW sun from 3pm to 8pm (or so). The tentacles are red, but the overall
yellow green of the leaves tend to wash the red out. The flowers look
like fireworks over these plants! So far, none of my plants seems to
have gone into shock from my (admittedly) sloppy transplanting. I made
the soil in the KG a 50-50 sphagnum peat moss/sand mix. (slightly more
peat moss, actually) I have dried sphagnum long fiber surrounding the
plants... anyone know where I can get some live sphagnum?

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul V. McCullough