Darlingtonia Pitcher Development/Growth Habit

From: Doug Burdic (dburdic@presys.com)
Date: Thu May 22 1997 - 14:47:18 PDT

Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 14:47:18 -0700
From: Doug Burdic <dburdic@presys.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Darlingtonia Pitcher Development/Growth Habit

Hi All,

As opposed to the Sarracenia species, whose mature leaves face towards
the center of the rosette, Darlingtonia leaves always twist 180 degrees
so that when mature, the pitcher openings face away from the rosette. I
had never given this characteristic much thought until today while I was
in my greenhouse trying to remove new Darlingtonia pitchers that had
grown into the openings of last year's pitchers. (An annual project that
is difficult to do without destroying the succulent new growth by the
way.) If left alone, these new pitchers will be deformed to the point
where they are useless for capturing insects. Hence my revelation:
Natural Selection probably selected for plants that tended to rotate
farther away from the new growth meristem, thus allowing for new leaves
to form without being destroyed by growing into the hood openings of the
persistant old growth which characteristically remains for two or three
seasons on this species. In nature as in my greenhouse, these plants
form dense clumps and if the pitchers were facing the center of the
plant, one would expect only a few leaves to emerge through the previous
year's growth in a functional condition, especially in plant populations
that are found growing in the lower elevations where the weather is not
severe enough to enhance biodegradation of the previous year's growth.

Not the most exciting topic of discussion, but worthy of mention anyway.

Take Care,

Doug

Doug Burdic
dburdic@presys.com

This may be common knowledge many growers, but after growing
Darlingtonia for two decades, while in the greenhouse today, I
believe I gained some insight as the growth pattern of their
leaves.