Re: Tiny white insects crawling in vft pot

From: Wayne Forrester (forrestr@mendel.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Tue May 20 1997 - 07:22:34 PDT

Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 07:22:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Wayne Forrester <forrestr@mendel.Berkeley.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Tiny white insects crawling in vft pot

Hi Lee,

         While it's difficult to ID bugs without seeing them, what you
have are probably a small insect called springtails. They are white or
silver, maybe 1 mm in length. They feed on decomposing material in pots,
and like it quite damp. They sometimes hop when disturbed. If they are
springtails, they are completely harmless as far as I can tell. If they
are springtails, I would suggest you do nothing. Any pesticide you spray
carries certain risks, and in this case is unnecessary. Hope this helps.

Wayne