Re: greenhouse

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon May 19 1997 - 17:44:00 PDT

Date:    Mon, 19 May 97 20:44 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: greenhouse

> From: "Robert Hood" <CP-MAN@MSN.COM>
>
> Hi,greenhouses are a great benefeit to all cp.When I placed some of my cp in
> my my greehouse that were all almost all green all of then got red or or got a
> purple color (the cp that do this)They all are so beautiful with their deep
> new colors.I have one question ,though, my N. mirabilis is getting a little
> red to the leaves and pitchers is this good?

Hello Robert,

    I feel that for most CP's, greenhouses are of great benefit.
However, I have yet to see very happy Sarracenia in a greenhouse...
At ABG, they grow most of the Sarrs outside too and their greenhouses
are some of the best I've ever seen. To keep Sarracenia safe over
winter, all that is needed is a cold frame, at most. Save your green-
house space for more tropical plants, or seedlings; unless it's too
dry for them outside.
    About the N.mirablis: Are the leaves getting burned? Sometimes
the older growth may not be able to cope with stronger light right
off the bat and can burn, but I believe most Nepenthes can receive
full sun (not even any glassing or plastic in the way) for several
hours a day, and so should be able to adjust. Just remember their
days don't get much longer than 13 hours and so they don't like as
much light for as long as temperate plants. I figure some shading
(ten - fifteen percent?) would be of benefit starting about half way
through spring through to the fouth quarter of summer. How's that
sound to the more northern Nepenthes greenhouse growers?

Dave Evans