Atlanta Conference Prelim.

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Sun May 18 1997 - 12:30:41 PDT

Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 15:30:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Atlanta Conference Prelim.

Hello everyone,

I just got back from the Atlanta Conference--I had to leave
a little early today (Sunday) and couldn't catch the
last few talks nor the field trip scheduled for Monday and
Tuesday.

There were attendees from Australia, France, Canada, Malaysia,
England, and Japan, as well as a good crowd from the U. S.
(East and West Coasts, and a few from in between).

We were lucky in that the weather was absolutely beautiful, and
made the garden and Conservatory tours all the more pleasant.

Many talks were given, and I won't post the details but rather
I will make a few general remarks. There were representatives
from U. S. Fish and Wildlife who gave talks on conservation of
bogs and also elucidated some of the government's classification
protocol for endanged species.

Along the same theme, some talks centered on the need for
conservation and gave suggestions about what we all can do.

There were talks on the cultivation of various carnivores, notably
Nepenthes and Darlingtonia. Some good presentations on tissue
culture were given.

As with any professional conference I've attended, some talks
were of interest to me and others were not. Other people
in attendance preferred the talks that I didn't, etc.

It was great to meet people in the flesh, who I have come to know
through their postings to this listserver.

There were plants for sale, as well as poster presentations
by various groups.

Tours through the ABG Conservatory and production greenhouses
were one of the highlights. Excellent Nepenthes collection,
Dionaea display, Sarracenia bog, and very interesting displays
of all sorts of non-cp's. They have one great operation at
ABG. THe production greenhouses are largely automated as regards
misting systems, shadecloth placement, ventilation, etc. It
greatly reduces the demand for manpower; fewer people can
get a lot more accomplished than otherwise.

I'm sure that articles about the conference will be forthcoming
in CPN.

It was a wonderful turnout for a first-time International Conference,
and there are great prospects for collaboration and cooperation
that have resulted from the meeting.

Regards,

Perry Malouf