Re: Sarracenia question

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu May 15 1997 - 18:12:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 15 May 97 21:12 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia question

> I recently ordered a S. alataXMinor, When I was planting it a shoot
> fell off the rhizome, with part of the rhizome on it, I dusted it with
> fungicide and placed the media, rhizome end down of course, now my
> question, can I expect this shoot to die or to grow a new plant? If I
> can get a new plant from it, what are some things I can do to encourage
> growth of the plant? A response would be greatly appriciated.

Hello Neal,

    Since I can't actually see your cutting, I cannot say whether it
is viable or not. I can tell you that cuttings which have roots do
recover and grow much faster. Very small cuttings, like what your's
seems to be, should be treated more like seedlings but they are in
worse shape because they have no roots. I would try rooting it in
media like Sphagnum moss, before trying other soils. Sphagnum is
good to use since you should not bury the rhizome, but it is so small
and without roots that lying on the soil would kill it from drying.
By using Sphagnum moss, light can still reach it and it will stay
moist and humid enough while it starts to grow. Once it has grown
some roots, it is ready for peat/sand, but will still need some care
for another year - don't let very small Sarracenia go through a
freezing winter.

Dave Evans