interesting book

From: NPLUMMER@hg-basic1mail.hg.med.umich.edu
Date: Wed May 14 1997 - 20:23:39 PDT

Date:          Wed, 14 May 1997 22:23:39 -0500
From: NPLUMMER@hg-basic1mail.hg.med.umich.edu
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       interesting book

I found a nice little book in a local second-hand bookshop today: _Pitcher
Plants, The Elegant Insect Traps_, by Carol Lerner (William Morrow and Company,
New York, 1983), 63pp. It's a children's book on Sarracenia. Highlights
include watercolor paintings of the Sarracenia species (and Darlingtonia) and a
discussion of insects that live in or plunder the pitchers. Tortrix and Exyra
caterpillars are described, as well as Sarracenia wasps and flesh flies.
Unfortunately, no scientific names are given for the flesh flies and wasps.
There's a nice discussion of Sarracenia habitat, anatomy, and pollination. I
hope the book is still in print, because I think it's a good one.

Does anyone know good sources for more detailed descriptions of the Sarracenia
wasps that the book mentions? Apparently, they build their nests inside
pitchers.

Nick

Nicholas Plummer
nplummer@umich.edu