Re: CPs in troughs

From: Carlo A. Balistrieri (cabalist@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri May 09 1997 - 15:45:07 PDT

Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 17:45:07 -0500
From: "Carlo A. Balistrieri" <cabalist@facstaff.wisc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CPs in troughs

At 10:59 AM 5/9/97 -0700, you wrote:
>The alkilinity of hypertufa would be a problem for many CPs, though you
>could control leaching with a roofing tar or equivalent. I do have the
>lime-loving Pinguicula vulgaris growing in a trough, inserted in holes in
>a pumice boulder in a peat medium. The only drainage holes are small,
>about 2 inches below the rim.

Age the trough before using it for CP. This delays your planting but the
lime will leach out after a while. Remember, most hypertufa mixes contain
peat to begin with. If I'm not mistaken a soaking in potassium permanganate
is supposed to speed up the process. Repeated soakings with water from a
hose (or better yet from an acid source) should also help. It may take a while.

Another option is to get an old kitchen sink or other suitable container
and cover only the outside and inner lip (to soil level) with hypertufa.
This should eliminate most of your concern about lime.

A little bog of this type should look pretty nice. Make sure to whitewash
the outside with buttermilk and ground moss to encourage moss/lichen growth.

Carlo

Carlo A. Balistrieri, J.D. Email: CABalist@facstaff.wisc.edu
P.O. Box 327
Ashippun, WI 53003-0327
U.S.A.
Voice: 414.569.1902 Telefax: same number, please call ahead.