Re: N. coccinea and N. alata

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu May 08 1997 - 15:31:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 08 May 97 18:31 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. coccinea and N. alata

> From: "Robert Hood" <CP-MAN@MSN.COM>
>
> Hi,I just read about someone else growing N. coccinea at low humidity.How did
> you get yours to be able to thrive in low humidity because mine is at very
> high and when it was at lower humidity it started to turn brown,but now it has
> high humidity with pitchers finally starting to form again.I also have N.
> alata that is almost entirely red on top (with some specks of green) and green
> on the bottom.

   It could be that your N.coccinea was not yet established? That
seems to be the reason my N.rajah was so unhappy with the other
highlanders...
   About the red top - green bottom thing: Colors are not very helpful
in figuring out species. It is just that all N. * ventrata and most
N.ventricosa I have seen are two toned with a well defined seperation
between the two colors (most often redder at the top/ green at the
bottom) about half way up/down the pitchers. While N.alata most often
has the same color shade over the whole pitcher - not that it can't
be two toned.

Dave Evans