D. sp. Magliesburg description

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu May 08 1997 - 14:39:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 08 May 97 17:39 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. sp. Magliesburg description

Hi Jan and List,

    I asked before what this plant might be, but I didn't have a
good description then. Now that it has flowered, and I got to see
it!, I have a better description and it can possibly be ID'ed.

   The overall shape of the plant is somewhere between that of D.inter-
media and D.anglica. It doesn't grow on a stem, but does appear to
raise it's self up just a bit from the soil, also there is no winter
bud. The entire leaf is 1 3/4" long with the oblanceolate lamia being
5/8" long and 3/16" at it's widest. The leaves, even under the lamia,
have blond hairs about 1mm. long; the scapes and sepals are hairy also,
but it is shorter, brown and denser. Scapes ascending, but they curve
upward steeply, 7" long, around four 4 flowers. Couldn't really see
if there are stipules as it is too hairy near the bud to notice.
Flowers have 5 pink petals 3/16" long and wide. Three pairs of Y
shaped, red styles surrounding the yellow anters. As I recall, the
seed were not rounded but long (1.5-2 mm?) and pointy.

   Tom Hayes, Eric Green have I missed anything?

   I hope this description is clearer. I came close to thinking it
was D.arenicola or D.madagascarensis, but I'm not sure where the
first is from and neither description in the key quite matches,
Magliesburg is in South Africa...

Thanks,
Dave Evans

P.S. this plants has so much hair on it, it should be D.hirsuta. :)