Re: answer

From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Tue May 06 1997 - 11:42:46 PDT

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 14:42:46 -0400
From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: answer

     Mark,
       Try planting your VFts in a larger pot. This helps to keep the roots
     from getting too much heat. If you still have trouble growing them,
     try adding some other plants around the VFTs for a little shaded
     protection. If you grow your VFTs on a bench, you may try placing them
     on the floor of your greenhouse. I use this method inside my
     greenhouse for my sphagnum moss and Pings. It seems to work well with
     both. VFTs will tolerate full sun, but there is a limit as to how much
     sun one should give the plant. I provide full sun to all my VFTs, but
     they also get some afternoon shade as well. BTW, Your humidity seems
     to be a little low for these plants as well. My greenhouse humidity
     seems to average around 80 to 95%. Where I live, we normally have high
     humidity to start with, with the greenhouse, this makes it even
     higher. Hope this helps
                               Charles
     However, my VFTs are not happy. The leaves typically turn black and
     die from the base up, but sometimes the trap dies first. This occurs
     within 3-4 weeks of transplanting out of the 2" pots from the dealer
     into a 4" pot. Or, when I get them bare root, from Lee's Botanical
     Gardens.