Re: Re[3]: standing Sarracenia

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Mon May 05 1997 - 07:30:07 PDT

Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 10:30:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re[3]: standing Sarracenia

> Just wondering what kind of conditions you have? We have a lot of strong
> winds here, especially in spring and autumn, so I put my Sarrs. behind a
> windbreak. They still get blown around a lot, but the wind doesn't knock
them
> over. The only time mine fall over is when they fill up with insects and
> start to die off.
> Christopher Walkden
> Tasmania, Australia.

For me, I guess it is a combination of wind, rain, and insects. We had about 5
inches of rain the other day (a lot for April, but not for July) which along
with the love bug feast the plants are enjoying and the strong winds bent quite
a few.

>Since most of my Sarracenia are in an artificial bog, I try to interplant
>the ones that tend to fall in stands of plants that handle the wind. I'm
>having 'some' success with this strategy.
>Ron

That's an idea I will have to reconsider. I have mine in pots and I separate
the plants occasionally to make it easier to deal with pests.

>I placed a large net over my artificial bog to keep (black)birds out of
>it. The highest growing Sarrs grew through the holes. In the beginning I
>didn't like it at all. After a downpour with heavy wind, most pitchers
>of the upright growing Sarrs were laying down, while those that had
>grewn through the holes in the net were still standing upright.
>Kind regards
>Wim Leys

This I hadn't thought of.
Thanks for the ideas.