Re: VFT medium & intro

From: AdrianoB@aol.com
Date: Sat May 03 1997 - 08:04:54 PDT

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 11:04:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: AdrianoB@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT medium & intro

Hello all,

I have been growing cps for a few years with moderate success (not too many
plants, but nothing has died (yet)). I have transplanted my VFTs into a
50/50 mix of chopped up sphagnum and coarse silica sand. They have done
pretty well, so at least it isn't a BAD mix! I'm going to try adding some
peat to this mix to see what that does. More on this later in the summer.

On the other hand, my Sarracenia Purpurea seem to thrive in this mix. They
have gotten HUGE. I transplanted them last year, they need another pot this
year! Lastly, my Droseras (Capensis, Filiformis x Binata (I think) ) seem ok
with it. Not great -- not bad.

BTW, how big do Drosera Filiformis get, anyways? Mine has "spread out" over
a 2 foot by 2 foot area (say 60 cm x 60 cm for metric people. Remember, 2 +
2 = 5, for large values of 2...). Is it going to get much bigger? I have a
hard time keeping it under control now...

Adriano